Saturday 13 November 2010

Promenade plantée


That, mes amis is not some ancient footpath through the countryside in deepest, darkest provincial France.  It's a minute's walk away from my flat and five minutes from one of the main railway stations of Paris.  It's the beginning of the Promenade plantée.  It's a former railway line that runs above and parallel to the Avenue de Dausmesnil on its way to the Bois de Vincennes.  The line has long since stopped running, but in 1987 work began on turning the disused railway line into a park, which opened in 2000.




Abbey Road
Climb the steps and you find a long, straight and secluded path that apparently runs for nearly five kilometres.  Every so often the viaduct crossed a main road and you got these superb views down the avenues and boulevards.  There were a lot of early-morning runners who were taking the scenic route and avoiding getting run over by the mad taxi drivers.  If I ever get my running shoes back on (and that's a big "if") I think a run along the whole thing and back will be first up.



I thought I'd leave you with a very arty photo (well, for me anyway) which took a while to snap due to those pesky runners.  Enjoy, et a plus.



No comments:

Post a Comment