Tuesday 23 November 2010

Au Bois de Vincennes

Faithful readers will no doubt remember that I posted earlier on about the Promenade plantée that runs near my flat.  I mentioned that I might go for a run along it sometime.  With a typical sense of timing, I chose a bleak and freezing Monday afternoon to follow it to the Bois de Vincennes, a large park on the outskirts of Paris. 

The run broadly follows the Avenue Daumesnil on its long old way out of town.  The Promenade itself is very straight and lined with greenery, but the classic Victorian avenues surrounding it disappear as you reach the edge of Paris, being replaced by depressing high-rise flats.  After viewing the delights of the Péripherique, Paris's answer to the M25, you arrive in Saint-Mandé and then the park itself.

The park is enormous: four times larger than Hyde Park in London.  It was also almost deserted.  Happily this led to a good photography opportunity, at least until my camera battery ran out...

A merry-go-round closed for the winter


One of the lakes in the park
An autumnal path

So that's the Bois de Vincennes, for you to view from the comfort of your bedroom.  The next few posts will probably be on a winter theme.  Apparently snow is due to fall in Ile-de-France this week.  I'll keep you posted.  A plus.

1 comment:

  1. I have friends in Nogent sur Marne and have been through a section of that enormous park a few times. The carousels are abundant in Paris and I hunt them down for photos... love that last photo.

    ReplyDelete